Licensing information for Israel - 4X

Date: December 2008 from 4X6KJ (see addition)

Intro: Israel implements CEPT T/R 61-01 and 02; reciprocal licenses are given to visitors by IARC. see CEPT instructions of Israel

All visitors' licenses handled by IARC if not according to CEPT T/R 61-01 and 02.
Address:                   Israel Amateur Radio Club
                                 P.O.Box 17600
                                Tel Aviv 61176 Israel

The Israel Amateur Radio Club can help in obtaining a reciprocal license.  
Application form 006 is here attached and information as to what other documents are required. See also IARC homepage.

The best way to get a license:
Amateurs coming from countries that have CEPT implemented the CEPT T/R 61-01 agreement, do not have to apply for any reciprocal license.

They can bring their equipment, and operate in Israel for a period of up to 3 months, providing that they have a valid "home country" license with them. Their call sign is as follows, 4 X / and home call. (see CEPT and special CEPT instructions of Israel)

NON-EUROPEAN countries that have CEPT implemented the CEPT T/R 61-01 agreement, do not have to apply for any reciprocal license. Participating countries are: Australia, Canada, Israel, New Zealand, Netherlands Antilles,  Peru, South Africa, and USA. Amateurs coming from countries that have CEPT implemented the CEPT T/R 61-02 agreement, have to apply for a reciprocal license if staying for a period of more than 3 months.

Being that the above mentioned countries are now participating in the "CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01" as one of the non-European Countries, implementing this licensing agreement, just like Israel has done some years ago. It is not necessary anymore to apply and file any paperwork concerning, a temporary amateur radio reciprocal license. Under the "CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01" you are allowed to operate your amateur radio equipment for a period of up to 3 months, according to your own (home country) licensing conditions and the prevailing rules of the country being visited. (Bring your present valid license with you) Israel is in IARU Region 1, which has a slightly different band plan and power limits.

Any other country, that does not participate in the CEPT agreements, will have to notify the Israel Amateur Radio Club ( see form 006)

Addition from 4x6kj at

Date December 24, 2008

Israel is non European participant in the CEPT T/R 61-01 licensing agreement, which means that you don't need any kind of paperwork for a stay of up to three months.


So all you need, is to come over, bring with you your current valid CEPT license, your equipment and that's all. Your Call Sign will be your home call with the prefix 4X/.


Now some other pointers:

For your electric chargers - we use here 220 volts 50 Hz. You may need a voltage converter for all your electric needs.

Your hand-held should have a built in PL (private line) we use here 91.5 to trigger the repeaters.

A repeater list you find on our web page

Bring some kind of antenna with you, like a magnetic mount, for possible "hotel balcony" or car operation.



For security; by "checking - in" or "on the flight", either take your equipment apart, meaning disconnect battery, antenna, handheld microphone, and place everything in a different part of your luggage, so the X-ray people at the check - in point, can see that it doesn't work.

Or take it complete (all connected) in your hand luggage, show it by security check-in, together with your license.


As of April 2008 retired from all these tasks:

Honorary President of I.A.R.C.

I.A.R.U. Liaison Officer

Membership Services

Ministry of Comm. Liaison Officer

Silent Key Forest Coordinator


The book: "My Early Years"


Joseph Obstfeld 4X6KJ, +E-mail: josepho at

ARRL DXCC Card Checker

Post Office Box 873 +E-mail: 4x6kj at

Kiriat Ono, 55108 Israel

(Tel: ++ 972-3-535 8985

(Cellular: 054-453 4604 i Private Web Page: 

Back to MENU