- 600 BC. Pliny, properties of amber (in Imperial Rome) Greek root word
- 1603 Dr. William Gilbert electrum->amber->electrica
- Early 1800's, Faraday discovers relationship of electromagnetism to
- 1873 James Clerk Maxwell, EM waves. Mathematical proof of Faraday's
- 1885 Dr. Mahlon Loomis, galvenometer deflects at 18 miles distance
- 1886 Heinrich Hertz, spark across a loop at a distance (~50 MHz?)
- 1894 Guglielmo Marconi, adapted Hertzian oscillator and 'decoherer'
to send a signal over 2 miles, Salisbury Plain, England.
- 1899 Scientific American Magazine impartially discussed Marconi's
American Electrician Magazine gives construction details.
Considerable amateur interest.
- 1901 Using tuned circuits in both transmit and receive, Marconi spans
Atlantic with "Wireless". Press and experimenters go wild!