|G3VGR||K2 SSB Modification|
The K2 front panel has a strange 8 pin connector. It is there to tempt the user into plugging a microphone into it and compromising an excellent CW rig.
Originally, I considered removing the KSB2 SSB option board to prevent ruining the K2 with a totally unnecessary mode.
However, the ever-present sight of the front panel connector could lead one to temptation, so eventually a decision was made to address this problem.
After careful research and planning, I have devised this modification to ensure the K2's performance remains optimum.
· Firstly, one searches the garage until eventually finding a microphone
· Cut microphone lead close to connector, throw away remaining lead and microphone.
· With a small hacksaw, cut through cable clamp on plug to enable removal of locking ring.
· Throw away remains of now damaged plug and retain locking ring
· Hunt through junk box for suitable coin to fit in locking ring
(isn't it odd how you wake up in the morning after a heavy night in a foreign bar to find your pockets full of small change).
· I found the following coins to be suitable:
· Use the locking ring and coin to complete the modification
You will now have a K2 to be proud of.