collection of information to assist those in locating powerline arc
amateur radio licensee W4NBO (formerly AF4O)
as information is available
FCC License Data: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=4439683
Secondary Source - In Progress
----on hold see below----
Frequency Interference in the area of West End Street and Clifft
Street in Bolivar, Tennessee
Note: Source is
intermittent. Such that the source may not be active when a RFI
location crew is able to come by. I am in arural area and it takes time for them to come out.
power company graciously offered to request a TVA rfi location crew to
come out but my concern was that they would come out and the source not
be active due to its highly intermittent nature, thus the location efforts here.
- Noticied when the primary source was absent and since its been resolved.
- Typically about s6 at 28mhz
- Its long term nature unknown since it was obscured by the primary source
- Typically is absent with a light rain or rain and/or high humidities.
- Pulling breaker at house made no difference.
Identification of source type
- Begin to hear around 10mhz. Probably not heard below 10mhz because natural noise levels are stronger.
- Up to at least 150mhz near the source.
- Peaks a bit around 19.5mhz on the IC-7100
- 120hz spikes can be seen on audio processing program. See method from Primary Source
Triangulation & Final Identification
As of mid June, the source has
diminished to where its almost non existant. Increasing temperatures
and humidites correlated with a decrease
- Peaking signal with 6m & 2m beam points right at the same
pole the Primary Source was on. Listening to 6m / 2m / 28mhz on
seperate receivers, all 3 are in harmony when source is intermittent
- Also triangulated with 2m portable and yagi (see photo below)
- Identified with Ultrasonic (see photo below).
- 4/22. Might have seen a tiny spark at the ground lug that wire goes to the fused disconnect.
- Built a Ultrasonic test source to more precisely site the Ultrasonic Dish.
- The picture below is on June 2nd after this sighting. These are the areas currently believed to be where the issue lies.
- Need to firmly correlate the noise heard here with Ultrasonic and
a retransmitted signal from the station receiver before turning in to
request a repair.
in the activity of the source. Further work to locate this may have to
wait until this fall when the temperatures and humidites decrease.