WB6ZQZ Web Home
Amateur Extra Class Radio Operator WB6ZQZ
licensed since 1967
El Sobrante Valley, Richmond, California
Site Table of Contents
New or Updated
Pneumatic Antenna Launching
We've used many systems over the years - from slingshots to compound bows - to get our Emergency Field Antennas up high in the trees -
But the best so far is - Pneumatic Antenna Launching - using compressed air and a tennis ball to put lines waay up without our feet leaving the ground.
Baluns (Balanced to Unbalanced Transmission Line Transformers)
- The Triple Ratio Balun matches resonant antennas from 9 to 75 ohms without a tuner and provides RF isolation to keep the current off the transceiver case. It is very useful for portable and mobile operations and is especially good for matching the short or low antennas used in HF portable or HFPack type operations.
- Balun Kits
Field Day is a weekend in June when the Amateur Radio community takes
to the field and sets up their equipment for what is essentially an
emergency preparedness practice drill. It is a combination of training, adventure, a
test of equipment and skills and a fun weekend. This group began doing
this in 1976 and has had a good Field Day turnout every year since.
The availability of sophisticated and affordable Antenna Modelling software has made it possible for anyone with enough interest to learn a great deal by constructing and analyzing antennas in software. Combining field experience with modelling experience can provide insight into many aspects of antennas that neither alone could provide.
- The Triple Ratio Balun matches resonant antennas from 9 to 75 ohms without a tuner and provides RF isolation to keep the current off the transceiver case. It is very useful for portable and mobile operations and is especially good for matching the short or low antennas used in HF portable or HFPack type operations. It can also be used with an antenna tuner.
- A Rapid Deployment (Pneumatic-Launched) 120 foot Inverted L Antenna
- Antenna Support Poles and Masts
- Portable Ultralight Loaded Dipole
- A Photographic Survey of HF Mobile Antenna Mounts
Elecraft K2 Projects
The Elecraft K2 is a modern kit, reminding us of Heathkit of years gone by.
This small but sophisticated radio has amazing performance in a small light
package and is extremely effective for portable operation. I've done a couple
of interesting modifications to mine including an internal 3200 milliamp hour lithium polymer battery pack.
Solar Controller Projects
- Simple Solar Charge Controller
- Microprocessor Controlled Hi-Current Switch / Solar Charge Controller
- AVR ISP Program for Windows via parallel port (wppisp)
- Honda EU2000i Generator Fuel Feed System
- Using gcc with the Atmel AVR Embedded Processors
- Other Atmel AVR Micro Projects
Amateur Radio Stations
- The IC756 Pro II Base Station
- The Elecraft K2 Lite-Portable Station, K2 Mods
- The IC706M2 SUV Mobile Station
- The Yaesu 897D Portable Station
- The Icom 703 Portable Station
- All Terrain Vehicle (Honda Rancher Quad ATV) HF Mobile/Portable station
Where I work
You may email author Alan Biocca via wb6zqz at arrl.net