RE: [SI-LIST] : CHIP INDUCTOR Q AND L AS FUNCTION OF ORIENTATION?

From: Ray Anderson ([email protected])
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 16:00:43 PST

Sandor-

I don't think you are going out on a limb at all. I got the impression
that most of the other commentors were answering a different question
than was asked.

Both chip capacitors and inductors can have varying parasitics releated
to their mouinting orientation. However the causes and effects are
usually different for caps and inductors.

The paper by Roy, Smith and Prymak addresses issues with capacitors.
Inductors were not investigated or considered.

Those who pointed out the difference in mounted inductance in caps
due to mounting pad geometries and via arrangements were correct in
their assertions, however I don't think those assertions are germaine
to the discussion of chip inductors and the effects of mounting orientation.

-Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems.