Re: [SI-LIST] : HSTL-to-LVDS / LVDS-to-HSTL translators ???

From: D. C. Sessions (si-list@lumbercartel.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 16:46:44 PST

On Tuesday 13 February 2001 16:40, you wrote:
# Wondering if anyone on the list is aware of translator
# chips that can convert between HSTL and LVDS and conversely
# LVDS and HSTL.
#
# I'm trying to figure out how to connect a parallel BERT with LVDS
# i/o to a chip with an HSTL interface bus.

HSTL-to_LVDS is easy; a simple attenuator does the trick.

Unfortunately, for all its virtues HSTL was never popular enough to
draw a lot of standard logic, and until recently neither was LVDS
(which is ironic, because LVDS is a dinosaur. Naturally, it's only
now that CMOS technology has completely passed it by that people
start requiring it.)

--
| The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. |
| Because the slow, feeble old codgers like me cheat.                |