Re: [SI-LIST] : Copper balance

From: Ritchey Lee ([email protected])
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 04:44:17 PST

These bits of copper don't function as antennas. If there are many of
them close to controlled impedance traces, they will lower the
impedance. That's the primary concern. It is pretty easy to simulate
their effect with a 2D field solver. That's much better than some
arbitrary "20H" or other rule. What one does is analyse how near copper
in the same layer or adjacent layers lower impedance. Then, it is a
matter of moving the copper away and seeing when the effect on impedance
is tolerable.

What one learns when this is done is that this kind of fill on an
adjacent layer when it lies over the top of a trace has a noticable
effect on impedance. When this fill is on the same layer, it has no
more effect than adjacent traces. So, on same layer, the spacing that
is acceptable for near traces works. On adjacent layers, no copper over
a trace and back away the same spacing as for adjacent layer.

Hope this helps.

Lee