Re: [SI-LIST] : SI tool for signals above 1GHz

From: carlos moll ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 08:50:52 PST

Wang Lin:

Maybe some useful information.....

Form a software point of view, a signal with a bandwidth of 2.3Ghz is well within the limitations of the field solutions generated by solvers (mostly bem) employed by most SI software companies.

However, the question you present is not imposing on the ability of the field solvers to generate accurate solutions at high frequencies, but with possibly the availability of good models and tools to properly coupled these models with associated geometries and provide a user with
 a predictable response. In order to make an intelligent decision on which vendor to use it is my recommendation to look at the entire process;

1. What do you want to do with your tool?
        What type of models will it support? IBIS (Behavioral I/O buffer models, limited to low Hz)? SPICE? Macromodels? etc..
        What capabilities do you require for integration with other software, including utilities to convert proprietary single line/coupled line elements to other vendors? 3D field solvers? RF simulators?
        Do you need parametric sweep capabilities for Solution Space Analysis?
        Is there a need for SI simulation on pre routed designs or post routes, which may include DIE, Package and PCB?
        Controlled current and current sources (simple pulse, PWL, exponential, sinusoidal, etc?
        Custom stimulus? Jitter? Customization for special measurements (source synchronous vs. common clock, etc.)?
2. How is the integration to Silicon? Package? PCB?
3. Plane resonance? Proper decoupling capacitor placement and analysis?
4. Can a tool accommodate for conductor losses(skin) for the entire process, from Silicon/Die to Package and PCB?
5. Can you run the tool in batch mode?
6. Can the tool support timing information to compensate for margins (i.e, tco, setup and hold, etc?)
7. Is there report capabilities to easily format large simulation runs?
8. How good is the waveform viewer and what capabilities are offered within the viewer (this is important)?
9. What customer base is using the tool?
10. How stable is the company in this market place?
etc.....

Again, your process and requirements will determine the tool you need. But I believe looking at the big picture (process) can be an effective way for paving the groundwork for a sound purchasing decision.

Carlos Moll
Cadence Design Systems, Inc.