RE: [SI-LIST] : Flaming story

From: Michael Nudelman ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 13:54:22 PST

Tom, Doug, John, Larry, bob and all who answered:

Thanks for prompt reply.

So, I guess, my paranoya is not quite just paranoya.

Some answers to asked questions:

1. We use this circuit on all the boards with the same parts. The only
difference is the boards' consumptions: mine is the hungriest - more than
100W; the rest is anywhere from 10 to 30 W.
Another differense is the feeder length - mine is amost 3', while the rest
is within couple of inches (board specifics).

2. Larry: I do use 10uF on the daughterboard; however, at the input of the
DCD there are two caps of 47uF to compensate for wire inductance.
3. My turn-on time (well you probably meant in-rush current time) is 2ms.
And on the next spin I did double it, to bring the peak inrush from worst
case 12A to 7A.
4. I also watche the turn-On process on the scope. Perhaps, I could not
catch the right moment, but the turn-on is slow and nice, wityh no ringing.
5. I do have under/overvoltage protection. At 48V the bouindaries are: 38.5V
turn-off and 43.5V turn-on (5V hysteresis).
6. Doug: Well...we have current limiting, but is is several amps. Also, with
slow start there, I measured the largest current from the Power supply - the
peak at 53V (typical in systems where blowups occur) is about 6A, over 2ms.
7. The 80A is the initial short ringigng and does not seem to pass the slow
start. In new spin I also have ferrites in-line.
8. And the last: as I said, the blow-up occur on the small mounted
daughterboard and there is same exat cap on the main board strictly in
parallel and very close, that stays OK. The blowups on the daughterboard
occur the mnost to teh front-end cap (before the choke) and sometimes to the
one after the choke.

Well....I better start diggin' more.

Thanks again you guys....now I'm not gonna sleep for a week. :-(((((((