Re: [SI-LIST] : Decoupling between non-ground power rails, yesor no??

From: Mike Hughes ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 05:46:30 PST

My earlier reply was intended to verify the validity of using pwr-pwr planes,
not necessarily to justify using discrete decoupling between pwr supplies. My
impression now is that using pwr-pwr planes is something you would do when you
can't use pwr-gnd planes.

Hopefully I'm not getting off the subject but I'd like to clarify this. First
when I said "small valued discrete caps", I meant 10pF or 100pF, not 10000pF or
0.1uF. It's true that plane capacitance is distributed, but not all of that
capacitance is "available" to any particular point when you are in the nano to
pico-second range. So I would think there are some similarities between the two
schemes. The advantage of the planes seems to be in the inductance. The
inductance of discrete caps is in the 1nH range, and somewhat lower but not zero
for the planes. (This is all assuming that things are done correctly.)

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Hughes