RE: [SI-LIST] : Dealing with Chassis and Digital Ground

From: Ron Mancuso ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 14:56:19 PST

Before you design it, verify 1) the power adaptor is a brute force
transformer with a full-wave rectifier, 2) the core of the transformer
is tied to earth ground which in turn is tied to DC ground. If the
power adaptor is a switcher, you have to know the electrical
characteristics which will be beyond the scope of this discussion.

With those points verified, some things to remember. Earth ground is
generally noisy. The goal is to keep a 'dirty' area to dump noise
transients to better protect the elements within your circuit that are
sensitive to threat. And the fact the DC barrel connectors are
relatively high impedance paths to ground doesn't help much. Now as
ground enters the card from the DC barrel connector, isolate a chassis
ground area of the pwb that will run the perimeter of the PWB (for the
external I/O connectors). Sink any chassis ground connections to this
ground. You hadn't mentioned ESD or fast transient protection, but this
should be included over chassis ground. Avoid capacitive coupling
system ground to chassis ground.

To construct the system ground, the DC power and ground is run through a
common-mode choke. The inductance doesn't matter (as much) as the
permeability of the core. It should be highly permeable. Once past the
choke, system ground will occupy the whole interior of the PWB.
Assuming you're using an on-board switcher to construct your digital
voltage(s); a double-pi filter before the switcher has worked well for
me in the past. System bypass should be done PAST the switcher stage.

In this scheme, conducting the heat to the chassis becomes more
difficult. I never recommend using stand-offs connected to system
ground. Over time, the contacts electrical characteristics change as
they're confronted with various environmental threats (humidity, thermal
expansion/contraction, etc.). Ignoring that, tying system ground to
chassis ground allows for system ground transients to radiate through
chassis ground (via stand-off) or system ground to accept radiation.
For pure thermal conduction, define a circular keep-out area that is
isolated electrically from the rest of the board (leave room for the
screw). Each layer will have a full layer of copper that will 'touch'
the stand-off. Liberally run via's between layers. Use thermal paste,
if necessary. These steps have worked well in past designs.

Thank you,
Ron Mancuso

Corrent Corporation
phone: (602) 748-1401 x255