RE: [SI-LIST] : CPW and CPS

From: Daniel, Erik S. ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 11:35:20 PST

Chris-

We have often designed PC boards with ground metal coplanar with microstrip
and striplines to provide additional inter-trace isolation. We usually keep
the spacing from the coplanar ground to the trace large enough that the
edge-edge coupling is not too large so that the traditional microstrip and
stripline planes provide the majority of the ground return. Therefore, I
suppose one could argue whether these are "true" coplanar waveguide (CPW) or
finite ground coplanar (FGC) structures, but they are nonetheless useful.

I did once make a test board with "true" CPW structures (i.e., a
ground-signal-ground arrangement with no back side ground), but found that
it was somewhat more difficult to get well controlled near-50-ohm impedances
because of the much stronger sensitivity of the impedance of CPW structures
to variations in metal thickness, soldermask thickness and dielectric
constant, etc. -- properties which are not too well controlled in PCB
processes, but which can be controlled much better in thin film process
technologies such as those used to make RF/MMIC devices.

                                        - Erik

Erik Daniel, Ph.D. Voice: (507) 538-5461
Mayo Foundation Fax: (507) 284-9171
200 First Street SW E-mail: [email protected]
Rochester, MN 55905 Web: www.mayo.edu/sppdg/