RE: [SI-LIST] : Z Odd-mode, edge-coupled, 50ohms?

From: Michael Khusid ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 11:45:12 PST

If your board is so dense, I would increase coupling between the legs of
your differential pair, i.e. I would place them closer to each other.
Microstrip differential pair with 5 mil lines, 5 mil spacing between legs on
4.5 mil core (that's the standard size for GETEK core if I recall
correctly?) will get you 100 Ohm differential impedance. That would be a the
edge coupled solution, i.e. legs on the same layer. There are also broadside
coupled solutions, i.e. lines on different layers one under another.

The crosstalk between legs of differential pair can be used to your
advantage, that will keep the energy of the signal between those lines.
If you'd like to decrease the crosstalk between differential pairs, use
larger spacing between differential pairs, while using smaller spacings
between lines of the same differential pair. I've seen this issue to come up
with some board designers who try to keep the same spacing between *all*
lines on the board.

Mike Khusid
Sitara Networks, Inc.