RE: [SI-LIST] : multiwire experience?

From: Thomas Jackson ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 14:41:23 PST

Multiwire is a proprietary technology. There is a very short list of places
to get it done, so I don't think it is very cheap.

It was favored when making PCBs with more than two layers was prohibitively
expensive.

It has fallen from favor for a number of reasons. First, the technology
assumes that an insulated wire can be accurately placed in a layer of liquid
epoxy such that, later on, after the epoxy hardens, a CNC drill can drill
through that wire and make a through hole in the substrate. Next
assumption: Plating that hole will form a good electrical contact with both
of the sheared ends of that wire.

Second, electrically, I have some reservations about its signal performance.
I don't see how each wire can be a uniform distance from a power or ground
plane over its entire length, so there must be impedance variations. The
Multiwire boards I have seen have had only one pair of power and ground
planes. Therefore, everything is microstrip at various heights above the
plane.

At my previous employer, a defense contractor, they were redesigning
Multiwire boards for old systems into PCBs because they were more
supportable.

While Multiwire had its day in the sun, I don't think I would go that way
today with the current cost and performance of PCBs.

Tom

Thomas L. Jackson, P.E.
Staff VLSI Design Engineer
Network Access Development