Re: [SI-LIST] : Comments on proposed standard

From: D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 14:21:47 PST

On Friday 05 January 2001 10:19, Charles Hill wrote:
# DC,
#
# I remember your intriguing request, and have now had some time for my ideas
# to jell. Your draft is insightful and interesting. I think there are some
# things you left out.
#
# First, define the problem. "intense demand for short IC-to-IC connections
# at absurd signaling rates" -- Problem: Transfer digital information between
# ICs at ever higher speeds and accommodate trends in IC technology. Digital
# information is sequences of symbols (bits), a discrete time, discrete
# amplitude set. The transmission channel is continuous time, continuous
# amplitude. So what you've left out or assumed is the translation between
# these two domains, the detection process. There are two parts to this, the
# amplitude and the time. Assuming a conventional amplitude thresholding
# scheme, it leaves the time the clocking. So is that separate clocking, or
# embedded clocking on a bus wide basis, or embedded clocking per bit? The
# decision on the clocking also depends on what can be achieved in the IO
# cell design and IC implementation, delays, deterministic jitter and so
# forth (sidewall capacitance on interconnect is not getting lower and
# neither is mutual inductance).

I think you're looking at a higher protocol level than I am. At the lowest
level, we're defining what a 'transition' is. The next one up or so defines
the relationship between bits and transitions, much as you have with
NRZ, NRZI, and so forth. Similarly, you can define either self-clocking
schemes or source-synchoronous ones.