[SI-LIST] : End Termination

From: Goferman Stas ([email protected])
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 09:15:49 PST

Hello,

We are two undergraduate students working on a signal integrity project.
The field is new for us. The project is about simple signal integrity
phenomena, like reflection and crosstalk. We designed a PCB with various
test cases
that demonstrate these phenomena.

Our question is about end termination.
We've built a simple end termination configuration.
However, we have place the end-terminating resistor not so close to the
far end.
We would like to find how close to the end do we need to connect the
end-terminator.
Since we cannot change the location of the resistor, we change the rise
time of
a pulse generator. We are using a HP TDR. As we increase the rise time, we
get a better
behaviour of termination, and get a smaller sink on the TDR screen.
For each sink, TDR measures an excess capacitance created by stub.
For a perfect termination, there is
no excess capacitance. Is there any relation (equation) between this
excess capacitance and
the rise-time or the stub length ? We need some analytic formulas, if any.

We will appreciate if anyone could help us.

Thanks,
Stas and Alex