AW: [SI-LIST] : SMA test connector PCB layout

From: Wallenhorst, Ulrich ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 06:02:04 PST

Larry,

I recommend to avoid any plated through-hole SMA-launcher. The thicker the
boards the more critical the degrading capacitive effects will be with not
real chance to compensate with tricks like counter drilling or higher
inductive trace-impedance in mm-distance from the signal-pad. You can indeed
use SMA edge-connectors. You have to use the version with only 2 ground pins
and solder it properly on the boards and guarantee a very low inductive path
by e.g. using self-build metal-blocks. If this option is not suitable for
Your application the remaining alternative are low-capacitance probe tips.

Best regards

> Ulrich Wallenhorst
>
> HARTING KGaA
> Dept.: Electronic Connectors Division
> Director of Advanced Interconnection Solutions
> E-Mail: [email protected]
> http://www.HARTING.com
> Phone: +49 57 72 47-294
Mobile: +49 160 533 6786