RE: [SI-LIST] : ibis2spice

From: Ingraham, Andrew ([email protected])
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 14:10:27 PST

> I'm trying to use IBIS2SPICE to get a subcircuit model that will work
> in HSpice. The stuff I've read about IBIS2SPICE implies that you
> should be able to get a model that will work for almost any
> simulator, but so far I haven't been able to get anything that works.

Intusoft's IBIS2Spice comes with a basic "template" file (the thing that
actually generates the SPICE file) that does only a couple of SPICE
variants, not including HSPICE. Maybe they intended to eventually add
HSPICE capability, or maybe they left that up to people like you and me to
do. I never heard about any updates to the template file. For a free
program, you can't complain if they never got around to it.

> Unless you are using a very (VERY) old, pre-IBIS version of HSpice I
> don't see a reason to replace
> the intrinsic HSpice B model with your own. Although it has been
> done, the full implementation
> of IBIS 2.2 and above with four or more VT curves is quite complex.

As far as I know, HSPICE's internal IBIS implementation doesn't use the V-T
curves. Version 99.4 (which I don't consider "very" old) doesn't. So you
have no advantage there.

HSPICE's implementation has a few other quirks, like internal connections to
node 0 which can be a problem sometimes, for which a functionally-equivalent
SPICE subcircuit could come in handy.