[SI-LIST] : Backplane hot-insert rings like a bell.

From: Dennis Schmitz ([email protected])
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 13:07:00 PST

The disturbance is a damped sine transient with an amplitude of 4-8 volts,
depending on which board is inserted and where it's measured.

The backplane is 48 volts. Boards use an inrush limiter which causes smaller
events several microseconds later, but the primary event is when an
uncharged board is plugged in. I isolated the effect by using a bare board
with a connector and fuses. If I discharge the board before I insert it (by
shorting the power leads), it causes an event when it's inserted -- if I
merely pull it out and re-insert it, there is no event (no, I wasn't
surprised).

There are no bypass caps on the backplane or any other component other than
connectors. The power plane is roughly 15x12 inches, although the backplane
is much larger.

The effect is worst when there is only one board in the system (again, I'm
not surprised).