RE: [SI-LIST] : Capacitor dielectric type

From: Mark Gill ([email protected])
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 11:10:18 PST

Hey Mike -

Decoupling the backplane is not required if the boards are correctly
filtered/decoupled. None of the systems I have worked on require decaps on
the backplane (reliability problem), and none of them have ever exhibited
this type of problem. But we do have good filtering/decoupling on the -48 V
input to each card. Smart powering (which Joseph mentions) is a slicker
approach, and very reasonable when considering switching power systems. But
depending on the actual parasitics (inductances, resistances, and
capacitances), you certainly can get high frequency ringing upon insertion -
try simulating with SPICE to get a feel. The toughest parasitic should be
the inductance. There are some ferrites which offer good resistive losses
at higher frequencies. I would still call this an inrush phenomenon.

Mark