[SI-LIST] : RE: Questions on the relationship between IBIS model & datasheet

From: Dagostino, Tom ([email protected])
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 12:00:40 PST

When Vol is specified at 0.55 volts and 24 mA it means the part will put out
less than 0.55 volts when 24 ma of current is being sunk into the output.
This is what the manufacturer "guarantees". Since the manufacturer wants to
ship all possible die from a wafer the output spec is conservative, all
parts should meet this spec. It is not unusual to see 2 to 5 time the spec
current at the specified output voltage. If the model shows less than the
specified current at the specified voltage I would be suspect of the model.
I have rarely seen a part that would not meet its Vol or Voh spec. I have
seen many parts that would product more current at a given voltage than the
model said it should (measured Iol at Vol was greater than the Max in the
model).

Tom Dagostino
IBIS and Tau Modeling Manager
SDD