RE: [SI-LIST] : 200 ohms

From: Jian X. Zheng ([email protected])
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 11:01:29 PST

Hi:

I think Ray's calculation is about right. We can use some high performance
electromagnetic simulator to confirm it. However, for a substrate as thick
as 250 mils, I would suggest you not to use it over 2 GHz. For a 1-G Bit per
second transmission, the base band is 2 GHz and the harmonics may go up to
10 GHz. If you want to use a substrate as thick as 250 mils, the
transmission rate should not exceed 250 M Bit per seconds if we need to
consider the harmonics.

For a microstrip circuit as thick as 250 mils, it will create much
radiation, dispersion and cross-talk when the frequency goes to as high as 2
GHz or higher.

Best regards,

Jian-X. Zheng, Ph.D
Zeland Software, Inc., 48890 Milmont Drive, 105D, Fremont, CA 94538, U.S.A.
Tel: 510-623-7162, Fax: 510-623-7135, Web: http://www.zeland.com