RE: [SI-LIST] : RE: Crosstalk Bus spacing

From: Larry Miller ([email protected])
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 18:59:27 PST

With the aggressor signals out of phase you have a null (cancellation) at
the victim site.
You can look at it as having a virtual ground there. So all aggressors
should be in phase for worst case, or maybe random phase for RMS.

What IS critical you do not show: the ratio of distance between traces to
the distance to the nearest return current plane(s). In your sketch it looks
like that might be the upper plane if the two ground planes are connected
together, but that may just be a type font artifact.

If you set the distance to the ground(s) to get a particular impedance (say
50 ohms, typical-- go visit the www.ultracad.com site to get a free
calculator to download), let's say that the distance to a ground is D. Then,
in general, you can use 3D as trace-to-trace spacing and have very low
crosstalk. (As your clock trace calculation evidently showed.)

You can also download a free calculator for crosstalk at ultracad. I am not
trying to beat the ultracad drum, but I have found these to be very handy
for just the kind of problem you are trying to solve. However it sounds like
you have some way of estimating crosstalk already.

Larry Miller