RE: [SI-LIST] : Accuracy of HSPICE W-element transmission lines

From: Haller, Robert ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 14:12:16 PST

Larry,
    A while ago I did simulation versus measurement comparisons using AVANT!
W-element
and a TDR with high bandwidth FET probes.
(But I used RLGC matrixes generated by Digital's/Compaq's internal Field
solver - SIMPEST) .
I utilized various edge rates 50->500 ps edge rate, a 12 inch transmission
line, and Hspice 99.x
I also acquired and digitized the source and destination waveforms of the
transmission line,
was careful to model the probes in my simulation and use the actual
digitized waveform (PWL)
with the correct output impedance as the input stimulus to SPICE.
A few Key items was to digitize the input waveform going into the W-line and
to Cross-section the
actual Transmission Line you measured.
I was successful in getting W-line simulations to virtually overlay measured
results (far end
of the Transmission line using the W-LINE).

At higher edge rates (< 100ps) we began to see discrepancies. I think these
were limitations in the
Dielectric losses not modeled over frequency, Michael Tsuk, Could answer
this better.

I also found the the simulations were surprising affected be HSPICE OPTIONS;
METHOD, TIMESTEP
Very Long Lines (> 3 Meters had issues - I think this has been fixed)
T-lines were surprising good if you don't care about high frequency effects
and U-Lines were horrible.

Bob Haller
Cereva Networks
Marlboro Ma.