RE: [SI-LIST] : RF Via Advice?

From: Bob Weber ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 07:42:12 PST

I've asked about the use of pads on through vias to a number of people over
the past 2 years. Most say that they are not needed with current PCB
fabrication techniques (FR-4 glass & epoxy boards). I'm of the opinion that
they are needed if the clearances are too small to allow good fill by the
epoxy. Conversely, if you remove the pads, you should be able to prevent any
problems by adding some additional clearance from the via to the plane. The
PCB fabricator for your type of board should have answers on what works and
what doesn't.

I intend to investigate further. Please let us know what you find out.

Bob W.