RE: [SI-LIST] : Capacitor dielectric type

From: Bob Weber ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 06:50:09 PST

RE: [SI-LIST] : Capacitor dielectric typeThe bypass cap ESR improves damping
(smoothing the impedance peaks & valleys) in the 50 to 250MHz range. The
degree of improvement varies depending on capacitance values (bypass and
plane capacitance).

I select the caps (voltage, dielectric, and package size) to make sure I get
enough ESR to be effective in damping. Obviously, small packages are good
(small ESL). I avoid capacitors that result in a "thick stack" (i.e. a many
layered MLC cap). The extra layers give more capacitance, reduce the L (a
small effect), and drive down the ESR. Cap sizes that need fewer layers will
in general have the most ESR.

Using the AVX SpiCap software, http://www.avxcorp.com/SpiApps/spicap/ ,
compare the ESL and ESR of a X7R cap at 1, 10, 47, and 100nF (100nF will
have to be a 16V cap). As the capacitance goes down, the ESR goes up. This
makes sense when you view the cap as a stack of smaller value layers. The
total capacitance is increased, but the ESR is reduced. A 100nF X7R cap is a
block, while the 1nF is a sliver. Z5U can be selected to give more ESR in a
100nF cap (fewer layers and the dielectric is more lossy).

Bob W.