RE: [SI-LIST] : matched delay

From: Charles Hill ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 11:33:15 PST

Andrew,

It seems we may be in agreement here. I'm saying that both timing skew
between positive and negative differential inputs and impedance mismatches
are linear processes. Therefore, they cannot produce duty cycle distortion.

The transmission channel in question is the differential mode channel from
transmitter to receiver. A differential mode receiver produces an output
according to vout = vpos - vneg, a linear equation. The transmission
channel is also linear.

It seems that distortions like "wiggles and bends" or "asymmetric edges"
could be caused by entirely linear processes in the channel, and if the
differential receiver conforms to vout = vpos - vneg, then no duty cycle
distortion results. On the other hand if duty cycle distortion does
result, then the receiver input must be partially non-linear to the
differential mode input signal. For example, if the differential receiver
inputs go to an input level where the equation changes (like the gain
changes), then it has non-linearity.

If the timing skew between positive and negative sides of the differential
mode input goes beyond the rise and fall times, then the differential mode
signal has regions near zero and flat. Then the finite gain and noise of
the differential receiver produce large uncertainties in the timing of the
logic edge.

I think that's pretty much what you said. I'm interested in any other
insights you may have. Like what causes this duty cycle distortion in the
transmitter?

Chuck Hill