RE: [SI-LIST] : matched delay

From: Charles Hill ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 09:33:06 PST

Larry,

You said that mismatches cause duty cycle distortion. I don't understand
the causal relationship. My reasoning goes as follows:
Mismatches and reflections occur in transmission channels which are linear
time invariant. A property of linear systems is no additional frequency
components are created (intermodulation does not occur). For example, if a
perfect square wave goes through a linear channel, only odd order harmonics
go in and come out. Now duty cycle distortion implies even order harmonics
are produced by a transmission channel with a perfect square wave
input. But this is a contradiction since mismatches are a linear process
which do not produce additional frequency components.

The linear transmission channel affects positive and negative edges the
same. These channels are characterized by an impulse response.

That what it looks like to me. What do you think?

Chuck Hill