RE: [SI-LIST] : Flip flop setup and hold time and sensing circuit

From: Volk, Andrew M ([email protected])
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 17:07:33 PST

Wai-Ming -

The sample window size of a F/F is finite in width. It can be a few
picoseconds wide, but it is a finite width. Therefore, a F/F cannot have a
setup and hold time which are simultaneously negative since this implies
hold time before setup time - data can change before it is settled.

As to a state change method, the one you are suggesting is about all I know
of. You can use magnitude comparators to reduce package counts or LSI
design complexity, but it is all about the same in the end.

Regards,

Andrew Volk