RE: [SI-LIST] : Capacitor dielectric type

From: Ken Cantrell ([email protected])
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 13:19:44 PST

Tk,
One of the other guys e-mailed us some capacitor links, my thanks again to
whomever. I think the Kemet software was the best, and recommend it for
getting the visual feel for the differences in dialectrics and the effects
of external series inductance and resistance. Then I plug those values into
Doug Brooks's package (Ultracad.com, ESR software*), to see the effects of
paralleling all those caps. A real eye opener. The NPO/COG caps with low
ESR's ring like crazy, yielding sharp discontinuities. Ugly looking. This
supports Richard's e-mail below. My input is simulated only at this time,
and it was great to hear that someone had lab data.

Ken

*The software is CHEEEP! @ $75. Keep in mind it is a dedicated package, just
does this one thing. It's my favorite screwdriver now. The only thing I
would like to see added is print/cut&paste of the graphical display. Doug,
when you gonna do that?