RE: [SI-LIST] : deCoupling caps and there placement

From: Larry Miller ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 07:20:49 PST

From an EMI standpoint, if you can consider the cap to be an ac short then
putting it closer to ground will mean less inductance between the capacitor
and the ground plane. This means you will have less area radiating on the
capacitor body, pads, etc..

This same theory holds for if you have an AC termination on a logic line.
You have a capacitor and a resistor in series. If you put the capacitor "on
the bottom", i.e., attached to ground, then the junction of the resistor and
capacitor is also at RF ground and you have less radiating area.

So I vote for putting the decoupling caps closer to the ground plane if you
have to make a choice.

Larry Miller