[SI-LIST] : Grounding strategies for instrumentation

From: Lyke James Civ AFRL/VSSE ([email protected])
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 05:13:37 PST

I am involved with a painful situation in which we have to mix high-speed
digital with sensitive instrumentation in an infrared sensor and mirror
control servos. In instrumentation, there is a very strong emphasis on
single point grounds, but for the nearly 100 processors and 16,
1-gigabit/second links inside the same system, a different set of
philosophies emerge, in which in order to make the transmission line
structures function correctly, etc. we must deal with keeping the ground
impedances low through a multiplicity of ground contacts. This violates the
first idea about a single point ground.

How can these philosophies be reconciled within a single system?

jim

JIM LYKE, AFRL/VSSE
[email protected], 505-846-5812/5815
WARNING-WARNING-WARNING
For best results, DO NOT reply to this e-mail. Instead, use
[email protected]. The [email protected] is totally
unreliable, and it may not work right for another 100 years.