Re: [SI-LIST] : PECL oscillator termination

From: Michael Nudelman ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 19:27:48 PST

Tae,

If they are talking of series termination, than:
I favour parallel termination for very-hi-speed lines for the reason that for the
series (source) one you have to know exactly what your driver's output impedance is:
the resistor should be the difference between it and the trace's impedance.
Otherwise you are up for overshoots or vice versa - lost amplitude.
Which in addition is complicated by the fact that the output impedance of, say,
emitter follower changes dynamically.

Now, some people advocate double termination - source and end. You will have nice
clean signal, but will loose amplitude; it is used for receivers with low working
input thershold.

For a PECL clock, especially point-to-point (is it? what frequency?) I never saw
source termination, though I cannot claim I saw everything.
I use what I described earlier, very typical "cut'n'paste" circuit, that allows
connection to any ECL receiver.
Resistor 330 Ohm to GND (current sink), that a cap, and than diffmode termination
(100 Ohm for 100 Ohm diffpair between 50-Ohm traces), since I don't have common mode
problems.

SInce you use two PECLs and if you can use DC connection (can you?) this is the
recommended termination (Dr. Johnson advocates this one too):
Assume diff. imp. 100Ohm.

Straight connection driver-to-receiver. In the end: each line is terminated by 50Ohm
resistor; ends of the resistors come together to one capacitor (for clock, since it
is balanced signal, it can be large; otherwise - choose one you like for AC
termination for your kind'a signal); the capacitor is then grounded. Also, in
parallel to that capacitor, the resistor equal 330 Ohm minus 50 Ohm (is it 280? I
need a calculator for this) is connected, thus providing needed DC-bias.

Mike.