Re: [SI-LIST] : PECL oscillator termination

From: Tae-Kwang Jeon ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 18:32:28 PST

Hi Mike,

>> #3 In the case of #2, the resistors are supposed to be grounded, then what
>> if I make them in series?
>>

>In series with what? WIth the praces of the diffpair?
>The resistors are there to provide bias. Make them in series with the pair -
and
>you divide your signal between your resistor and the trx-line. The series
>termination does just that, but then, if you need AC-coupling, wher's your
bias?
>YOu will open can of worms, when everything is simple - connect 330 Ohm to GND,
>run your traces, put the caps in series (where you like; some people have
>different preferences - beginning, end) and terminate - either for diff. mode
>(diff. impedance resistor between traces in the end) of for common mode (one
>trace impedance resistor to GND from each trace in the end).
>
>Mike.

Yes, I agree with you on the DC-biasing resistor.
The reason for asking #3 is that I read an article the other day from Web -
I don't remember what the site was right now - saying resistor connection in
series with the cap could improve the PECL termination. So I was wondering
if it really works because I'm working on PECL-to-PECL interface for my
system.

Regards,
TK