RE: [SI-LIST] : effect of trace width on the performance

From: Zabinski, Patrick J. ([email protected])
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 18:48:15 PST

Muhammad,

This alone would make me think the 7.5 mil wide trace board would
work better than the 9 mil wide trace board due to the lower crosstalk.
This assumes single-ended lines, but the opposite would be true
for differential lines. Are the lines differential or single ended?

If this isn't it, my next best guess is the attenuation of the lines.
With cyanate ester, the loss tangent is quite low (around 0.001 if I
recall??), so I don't think you'll be running into much dielectric
loss at 400 MHz. However, the wider/thicker traces will have much
less loss at both DC and higher freqs than the narrower/thinner
traces (at least a factor of two better).

Have you looked at the signal degradation differences between the
two boards? Are the edge rates on the two board different?

If this isn't it, then I'm clueless.

Pat