Re: [SI-LIST] : Parallel single-ended traces routed to achieve 35Ohm controlledimpedance

From: Brad Underwood ([email protected])
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 13:11:57 PST

The answer to your original question is yes. Two 70 ohm lines in
parallel will look like 35 ohms for the length that they are in parallel
(and further if terminated properly). 'Parallel' meaning from the
driver, two different traces routed together or seperately.

I have implemented similar structures in the past where a 50 ohm bus has
multiple drivers at various points on the bus. The 50 ohms bus is then
terminated with 25 ohms on each end. The transmission line as seen from
the driver looks like a 25 ohm impedance.

This can be verified with TDR measurements. Launch a pulse into a 'T'
with two cables out of the coupler. The impedance seen will be the
parallel impedance of the two cables as for the length of the shortest
cable.

Regards,
Brad

Brad Underwood
Hardware Engineer phone: (469) 330-1765
Metera Networks, Inc. cell: (214) 642-0769
1202 Richardson Dr, Suit 100 fax: (469) 330-1762
Richardson, Tx 75080