RE: [SI-LIST] : Differential TDR probes

From: John Fisher ([email protected])
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 11:31:13 PDT

Ron,

Certainly shorter is better! Depends on what you are looking for. Soldering the coax shields together helps as if it were a passive diff probe, which it also is in case of TDR, ensures that any noise picked up on one shield is not seen as differential mode noise back at the scope but as CM and thereby rejected due to CMRR.  Keeping everything between TDR & DUT as short as possible ensures fastest edge and most resolution of closely spaced physical/electrical points of interest.

John