RE: [SI-LIST] : 2.5Gbps across a backplane?

From: Bob Perlman ([email protected])
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 08:43:19 PDT

Hi -

This is a great discussion.

Can someone post either theoretical or experimental evidence to
show that the coupling type (loose, tight) along the entire path
must be the same? In particular,

1) If I have loose coupling in the connectors and tight coupling on
the boards, what's the consequence?

2) If I have broadside-coupled traces on the backplane and edge-
coupled traces on the daughtercards (or vice versa), why would this
matter?

Granted, there might be a common-mode impedance discontinuity,
but if we have a significant amount of common-mode voltage on
these signals, aren't we in trouble already? After all, a lot of the
2.5Gbps links I've seen people propose have no meaningful
common-mode termination in the first place.

Thanks,
Bob Perlman