RE: [SI-LIST] : 2.5Gbps across a backplane?

From: DAmbrosia, John F ([email protected])
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 13:21:36 PDT

Gentlemen,
I would like to point out two papers that Tyco Electronics / AMP has
presented at DesignCon over the past two years-

1. DesignCon 99 - The Impact of PWB Construction on High-Speed Signals -
http://www.amp.com/simulation/files/papers/dc99cmdh.pdf

2. DesignCon 2000 - Practical Guidelines for Implementing 5 Gbps in Copper
Today, and the Roadmap to 10 Gbps -
http://www.amp.com/simulation/files/papers/DC00BRDH.pdf

We actually showed a backplane that functioned at 5 Gb/s in a system
environment (line card > connector > backplane > connector > line card) for
a distance of 2 ft. Also we actually showed an open eye going a foot in a
backplane environment.

In addition, we have worked closely with Vitesse, and developed a reference
design backplane for the CrossStream family. This is also available for
download- http://www.amp.com/simulation/files/papers/98060A_5.pdf

I hope this helps. Please feel free to direct any questions to me.

John D'Ambrosia
Program Manager, Strategic Accounts
Communications Circuits & Design
Tyco Electronics Corporation