Re: [SI-LIST] : Current flow limit for wire bonding

From: Bob Lewandowski ([email protected])
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 18:35:22 PDT

Minor problem, the equation from MIL-M-38510 is I = k*d^(3/2), {three halves
power, not two thirds}

k = 30000 for gold or copper with a bond-to-bond length <= 0.040 in. (0.1 cm).
k = 20500 for gold or copper with a bond-to-bond length >0.040 in. (0.1cm).
(For Al wire k = 22000, and 15200, respectively)
d = wire diameter in inches.
I = DC or rms current.

For a 1 mil gold wire < 0.04" long, I < 0.95A; > 0.04" long I < .65A.

---Bob Lewandowski
    Vixel Corp.