RE: [SI-LIST] : Opportunities at Dell - looking for input

From: George James ([email protected])
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 15:57:58 PDT

Francis,

I agree with your summary.

When I was Director of Engineering our Managers came up through the ranks
and were very technical but they did not have time (corporate level stuff,
budgets, performance reviews, planning...etc)to be hands on contributors.
However; their technical skills/background were a plus during project
design and program reviews. I had a rather large department which allowed
me to structure with a Chief Principal Engineer that was the technology
expert and a shared resource. Another issue is that it's hard to find
experts in technology who also want to manage and if they do it's hard for
them to keep current with technology.

George