Re: [SI-LIST] : No buried/embedded capacitance?

From: Larry Smith ([email protected])
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 14:19:17 PDT

Doug - Here is a table of frequency, skin depth and resistivity in
mOhms/square:

        Freq depth resistivity
        (MHz) (mils) (mOhms/square)
        ------ ------ -------------
        1 1.4 0.49 (thickness of 1 oz copper)
        10 0.823 0.82
        100 0.262 2.59
        1000 0.082 8.25

The thing to notice is that at 100 MHz, the resistivity of the planes
is 5X what it was at DC. At 1 GHz, it is 16X. You have to use
spreading resistance concepts to convert resistivity to resistance.

I use a home grown plane simulator so it was free, except for the
number of hours (probably over 1000) that I have put into it. We have
been using it here at Sun for about 4 years. It is basically a matrix
of spice transmission lines that include the frequency dependent
effects from skin effect and dielectric loss. We mount our high
frequency capacitors on these plane models for simulation.

I will be presenting the power plane spice model together with model to
hardware correlation at the EPEP conference in Phoenix in October. We
feel that it is time to share this with the rest of the industry and it
will be in the public domain after that.

HP has some similar plane modeling tools with their MDS package.
Cadence will be releasing similar models with their Power Plane Builder
software under Spectra Quest.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems