RE: [SI-LIST] : No buried/embedded capacitance?

From: Greim, Michael ([email protected])
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 13:00:57 PDT

Hi John,

It's not uncommon to see anti-resonance peaks in the
power system between the resonance valleys in your
PDS. I have most often seen them between bulk and
chip cap regions and then again between chip caps and
plane capacitance.

What you might want to try is mixing capacitance values
instead of putting all your eggs in the .1 uF basket.
remember that impedance is halved as the number of caps
is doubled. You may have reached your point of diminishing
returns well below 321 caps. I would recommend rerunning
your sims with some values of 47 nF, 10 nF and 4.7nF. I
suspect that you will see a much better impedance across
frequency.

Also keep in mind that all of this is assumes that the
capacitors are mounted to the circuit board in an appro
priate manner. A very low ESR cap mounted through a
High L path will cause bad things to happen with your
PDS.

Best of Luck

Michael Greim