RE: [SI-LIST] : Bead-choking the power supply--everywhere!

From: Mark Gill ([email protected])
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 04:04:16 PDT

Boris -

It does sound like overkill - shotgun approach, and touches on something
I've seen in the past - blindly applying rules. Certain
situations/applications require certain approaches. I have seen the single
capacitor and ferrite bead combination work well when implemented correctly,
and make things far worse when not. I have also seen plenty of situations
where nothing was done, and the systems pass class B. The trick in
implementing the concept (if you so choose) is in the parasitics. But a pi
filter approach seems excessive. Any expert worth her/his salt should be
able to explain how the fix resolves a concern. If you see waiving arms,
lookout!

Regards,

Mark Gill, P.E.
EMC/Safety/NEBS Design