[SI-LIST] : Wire bond vs. Flip Chip

From: Haller, Robert ([email protected])
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 14:58:37 PDT

  At the risk of being too vague, I have a question.

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for at what edge rate and/or signal to
return ratio, and package inductance (complete loop- signal, power and
ground) and ultimately Ldi/dt, should one use a cavity down or flip chip
package versus a wire bond package.

If I had all the models (I/O's and Package) I would simulate it, but I
thought with the wealth of knowledge in this forum, someone might have good
metrics (or pointers to white papers) I could leverage from.

Obviously there are other issues like frequency of operation, Mechanical,
Reliability, Manufacturability and Cost when performing package selection.

But bottom line for a 150 ps edge rate, LVTTL, 2:1 signal to return with
relatively low I/O count do I need a flip chip (CBGA or LBGA) or can I get
by with wire bonds TQFP ?

Thanks
Bob

bob haller