RE: [SI-LIST] : "skin effect/depth calculation results"

From: [email protected]
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 16:44:25 PDT

You find out how thick you can make your board to. You determine how many
layers your board will have. You then determine what the thickest dimension
you can have for the critical layers. You find out what Zo should be if the
receiver has termination built-in that you cannot change. You use that
impedance to determine your trace width. You may find that you have too
much copper loss, so then you try to play with the stack-up to see if you
can make other layers thinner and your critical layers thicker to use wider
traces. This is if you do not want to add external termination on top of
the internal receiver termination, so you use the impedance specified by the
IC vendors . . .

George Tang