RE: [SI-LIST] : hold time dilemma

From: Chris Hansen ([email protected])
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 10:52:56 PDT

I had this exact situation in a design. If you do as you suggest, and try
to center sample by inverting the clock to the SDRAM, you may be moving your
problem from a hold time violation to a setup time violation. Here is what
I suggest, and here is a situation where some trace length will actually
help. Take your clock through a zero skew buffer. I think that Cypress
Semiconductor makes a couple of 1 in, multiple out devices (PLL based) that
will fit the bill. From each output of the zero skew buffer, route
point-to-point to each of the SDRAM devices and to the processor. Match the
length of these clock routes exactly ... not only the overall lengths, but
also the layer transitions as well. This will give you a very minimal
amount of skew between the clocks to all of the devices. Now when routing
the address and data lines between the SDRAMs and the processor, maximize
this length, but not too long to ruin your signal integrity, and this will
give you your timing margin (Ttrace prop delay - T clock skew) for the hold
time. Hopefully, and in the case of my design it did not, this will not
create a setup time violation.

Chris Hansen
Director of Hardware Development

StorLogic