Re: [SI-LIST] : Interesting ESD devices

From: Mark Fex ([email protected])
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 06:14:54 PDT

Hi Doug et al.

I design PCB artwork and am in the midst of laying out a PCI I/O card that
will handle RS232/422/485 data protocols. This card will have two channels
available and the protocol, address, and interrupt of the card will all be
software selectable ( no jumpers).

Currently, my client has elected to go with a bundled ESD suppression
device ( 8 channels in one device ) shared between the two DB9 I/O
connectors.

I have been plugging individual devices ( 0805packages ) as close as
possible to the connectors to maximize their effect.

Aside from the obvious advantages of immediate proximity to the connectors,
I was curious to see if anyone has any ideas about other issues that I should
be aware of that may diminish the effectiveness of the ESD suppression
devices. I was thinking about wider traces ( larger than .012" ) and the effect
of vias in the circuit path ( I use .040 OD with .020 ID ).

This design will be a 4 layer board with the inner layers used for +5V and
ground.

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Regards,

Mark