RE: [SI-LIST] : Effects of thieving on SI and EMC.....

From: Ken Willis ([email protected])
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 04:40:17 PDT

This one took me back a bit to my first job out of school, which
was as a process engineer at a PCB fab shop. The reason for the
thieving is to enhance plating uniformity. Boards electroplate
from the outside in, so on a big board, you will get more copper
deposited around the outer features of the board than in the middle.
The thieving is generally meant to take the brunt of this, and let
you plate the features you care about a bit more evenly.
On a big , thick board, it is tough to get a mil of copper plated
in small vias in the middle of the board. The thieving helps to
balance this out a bit.

The HASL process is seperate from the plating process. It goes like
this in general:

        - print and etch the inner layers
        - laminate them together
        - drill the vias
        - electroless plate the bare copper boards, just to get
          the vias to conduct
        - print the image on the external layers
        - electroplate copper to create the external
          features and plate up the vias
        - electroplate solder on top of that
        - strip off the plating photoresist
        - etch the external layers (the solder acts as the etch resist)
        - strip off the solder
        - apply solder mask

Now you have the basically finished PCB, with exposed copper for the
surface mount pads. The external copper traces are all buried under the
solder mask. Now the boards are run through HASL, to cover all the exposed
copper with a layer of solder. That's about it.

For copper thickness, if you start with 1/2 oz. copper (about 0.7 mils)
externally, and plate a mil in the vias, you will end up plating up the
external traces about 1oz, and finish at about 2.1 mil thick traces.
Also, for any high speed signals, pin escape and get down to internal
layers immediately. Besides for EMI reasons, the external etch is much
less controllable than internal layers due to plating distribution. It is
very tough to have impedance control on external layers. The best the
supplier
can do generally is to get the impedance coupons to come out, but who knows
what the variation over the board will be. I've seen a wide range.

Ken Willis
Sirocco Systems